Tuesday 7 April 2015

Game 39 Earthrise Introduction


Seriously? Youre just going to throw that oversized beer can out into space?

I normally find myself sifting through pages and pages of information while putting together introduction posts. My task at these times is not so much about hunting down bits of trivia from the far corners of the web, but more about making a relevant and comprehensible snapshot of all that is readily available. Earthrise has by far the least amount of information available of all the games on the list so far, so this should be pretty quick! I do know that the game was written, programmed and animated by a guy called Matt Gruson. It was his first attempt at making a game, but he would go on to design and produce a better known adventure game, Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender a couple of years later. Gruson was assisted by Van Collins, who provided the artwork and backgrounds, as well as by Doug McLeod, who designed all the packaging. Both of these guys have been involved in other games over time, but none that are relevant to this blog. From what I can tell, Earthrise has an interface similar to the one found in Sierra’s adventure games, with a text-based parser and EGA graphics. The screenshots that I’ve seen look VERY simplistic, so the story is going to have to be pretty gripping if it has any chance of impressing me.


Mr. McLeod did a great job with this exciting cover. Lets hope it doesnt over-promise!

Speaking of story, Earthrise (its full title is Earthrise: A Guild Investigation) is a science fiction game within which I will play an astronaut that’s been sent to an asteroid to investigate some sort of communication failure. If I’m not mistaken, it will then become my task to save Earth from a collision with the asteroid, but that’s about as much as I’ve been willing to read to avoid spoilers. Interestingly, Earthrise is the name of an amazing photograph taken by real life astronaut William Anders during the 1968 Apollo 8 mission. I have to wonder whether the name of the photo and in fact the photo itself had any influence on Gruson when designing the game. I’ve downloaded a copy of Earthrise (I highly doubt it’s available to purchase anywhere, but please let me know if you know something I don’t) and will be playing it in DOSBox. I’ve not been able to find a manual of any sort, so hopefully I’m not required to look at one while playing. If anyone manages to get one somewhere, I’d reward them with CAPs. Well, that’s about it I’m afraid! I’m always excited to start a new game, and this one’s no different. Is anyone willing to join me on this one?


Anders Earthrise photo from 1968

Note Regarding Spoilers and Companion Assist Points: Theres a set of rules regarding spoilers and companion assist points. Please read it here before making any comments that could be considered a spoiler in any way. The short of it is that no CAPs will be given for hints or spoilers given in advance of me requiring one. As this is an introduction post, its an opportunity for readers to bet 10 CAPs (only if they already have them) that I wont be able to solve a puzzle without putting in an official Request for Assistance (see below for an example bet). If you get it right I will reward you with 40 CAPs in return. Its also your chance to predict what the final rating will be for the game. Voters can predict whatever score they want, regardless of whether someone else has already chosen it. All correct (or nearest) votes will go into a draw.

Example Bet:

Bar bs gur snfgrfg gung gurer jnf
Hagvy gung qernqshy, avtugzner qnl
V’ir frggyrq sbe gur dhvrg yvsr
Nf ybat nf sbyxf pbagvahr gb cnl

Jub nz V sbe 20 PNCf?

Extra Note: Once again, Lars-Erik will gift the next readily available game on the list to the reader that correctly predicts what score I will give this game. So, if you predict the right score (or are closest), you will get 10 CAPs and a copy of the Kings Quest Collection from Steam (which includes Roberta Williams Kings Quest I: Quest for the Crown). How good is that!? Good luck!