Monday 6 April 2015

Whats Your Story Ashley Bennett

Another Whats Your Story entry has made its way into my inbox, and its from one of our more silent readers (up until now anyway). Ashley clearly has a love of adventure games. So much so that he has written walkthroughs for the majority of games that appear on the Adventure Gamer playlist (391 and counting). Hes also pretty much exactly as young as me!

I hope he doesnt mind me linking to his fantastic work. It really is an incredible effort.

http://walkthroughs.homeip.net/


Ashley Bennett: Has played many more adventure games than me!

My home country is... Australia - born here and never found a reason to live anywhere else.

My age is... Well it appears Im a single day older than you - just turned 37 on Sunday.

The first adventure game I played was... Many years ago I had a Vic 20, and that was followed by a Commodore 64. There were a few text adventures like the Infocom classics that I played in those days, but the first adventure game that really sticks in my mind is Kings Quest. My dad used to fix TVs and then CRT monitors for people. I distinctly remember one night he called me out to have a look at a game he had started up to check everything was working on a monitor he had fixed. The opening screen of KQ1 was there, with Graham standing outside the castle and the inviting prompt at the bottom, all in glorious orange-screen monochrome. I must have spent a full 30 minutes sitting at the computer (on the floor no less) typing everything I could think of to get Graham to move across the screen. walk. walk left. left. go. run. shit. east. e. help. fuck you. Every time, either nothing happened, it said something like "You cant do that", it ignored me, or it just didnt understand. Anyway the guy came to get his computer and I was still sitting there. In desperation I ran my finger across all the keys and must have managed to turn off num-lock before hitting the arrow keys and suddenly Graham moved! And with that, the power was turned off and the computer was taken home. Needless to say, I pestered the heck out of my parents until a wonderful IBM PC XT made its way into our lives. With CGA graphics!


F............U...........C......

When Im not playing games I like to... Go running, particularly at night time. Or play with my kids. Or my wife ;)

I like my games in (a box, digital format)... I still like my games in a box. I like having them all lined up, in alphabetical order. Steam is great (and cheap!) but theres something about having a physical thing you can hold in your hands that I will sorely miss if/when they disappear for good.

My favourite adventure game is... Monkey Island 2. Dont get me wrong, I love the improvements to graphics and interface over the years, but there was something about that game that was just magic. My friend and I would both play for 20 minutes, then get on the phone to see how much progress we had each made, then go back and keep playing. We kept that up for a few nights until we had completed it. Ooh, but if I had to pick a second favourite, it would be Spellcasting 101.


For someone as experienced as Ashley to pick this as their second favourite adventure game, it must be good. Im excited to play it!

The thing I miss about old games is... How much harder they seemed to be. And the fact that you had to always just work things out for yourself. I know I could just exert some self-restraint, but knowing that the FAQ for the latest game Ive just purchased is already on the net somehow takes away the thrill.

The best thing about modern games is... The sheer variety, and I guess the fact that if I want a new game, I can just get online and get it. Now.

My favourite movie is... The Matrix. Closely followed by The Fifth Element.


Leeloo Multipass!

The one TV show I never miss is... Game of Thrones and Suits. And Im working my way through a DVD box set of The Wire at the moment.

If I could see any band live it would be... Muse. They came to my home city last year but I had a wedding to go to, so I couldnt make it.

One interesting thing about me is... In my life away from computer games I spend my working life also in front of a computer - as a radiologist.

If theres anyone else out there that would like to share, or get their hands on 20 sweet CAPs, please send your responses to theadventuregamer@gmail.com.